The apprenticeship for a diploma in hotel catering and management generally takes 3 years and can be undertaken in various catering segments. These include restaurants, hotels and guest houses. This Apprenticeship covers a range of occupations in hospitality and catering and is designed to cover all aspects of work within a hotel. You are responsible for the well-being of the hotel guest, which starts at reception. At reception you will be responsible for administration tasks, such as dealing with accounts and reservations. Further areas of activity include the restaurant / conference / and leisure sector.
All in all, it is an apprenticeship / career that can be very diverse. Successful candidates will therefore be expected to be fairly flexible.
- Qualifications equivalent to German “mittlere Reife” or “Abitur”
(approx. intermediate secondary certificate or school leaving examination)
- Ability to work in a team and good communication skills
- Knowledge of a foreign language an advantage
- Talent for sales and organization
- Good manners and well groomed appearance
Length of apprenticeship
- 3 years
- Welcome, advise and look after guests
- Set up and monitor guest rooms
- Serve food and beverages
- Hold sales talks and prepare quotes
- Keep hotel cash ledger
- Plan, organize and execute events
- Develop, execute and monitor marketing activities
- Deploy staff resources, implement guest concepts, resource planning
Vocational training college
- 1 / 2 days a week or block release
A diploma in hotel and catering management offers excellent career opportunities in all sectors of a company: floor/room service, reception, reservations, sales, restaurant, banquet or administration.